Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Girl Meets Horse

By Wendy Wahman

I’ve been horse crazy all my life. I love the sight, smell and feel of horses. I love their breath on my hand and their warm, soft, velvety nostrils. I love how their square, heavy bodies balance on those table thin legs. I love their swiveling ears and their broomy tails, swishing flies from each other’s eyes. And those eyes! Oh, don’t get me started.

My husband Joe and I were watching a movie last night. A handsome actor rode in on a dapple gray and I gasped. Joe raised his eyebrows and asked, rhetorically, “It’s the horse, isn’t it.”


A Trot Down Memory Lane

In the number one spot, Brighty of the Grand Canyon. Then anything and everything by Marguerite Henry. Check out this wonderful post on Jacquelyn’s blog: The Nature Lover’s True Story of Brighty of The Grand Canyon

My sister, Sharon, and I used to pour over this book. We played a game, if you could only have one horse on this page, which would it be.
The boy’s name in The Red Pony is Jody. We named our dog, Jody. Gee, I wonder why. We also had a cat named, Pony.

Kiki! One of my all time favorites. I lived in this book.

More Horse Tails

Contemporary Favorites

Erica Silverman’s website

Where’s my horse story, you ask? Well, just hold your horses, 
I’ll be letting this little pony out of the barn real soon.

I know I left out some greats. Please jog my memory and include them to the comments!

Adding these, thanks, you guys:

Happy trails to you, until we meet again.




20 comments:

  1. Super curious about Once Upon a Horse. Going to have to check that one out! And The Horse Who Liked Sandwiches :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to read both of those too. Let's track them down and have a horse party.

      Delete
  2. I will have to check out noni the pony...so cute ! I love this post Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there are one or two Noni's out there for our horsey enjoyment.

      Delete
  3. I am behooved to check some of these tails out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Horsing around with books as usual, I see, Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Wendy, we could've been horse girls together growing up! I did nothing but read horse books from age 8 onward...wrote fan letters to Secretariat, to M. Henry...finally got to write a horse book as a grownup, and we owned a horse for a year. Still haven't gotten my fill of them! Looking forward to your pony story! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I knew it! Want to come over and play plastic horses?

      Delete
    2. I'll borrow my daughter's...we have a huge plastic tote full of them! They sure bite and kick less than our real horse, Avi, did...

      Delete
  6. Love this, Wendy -- I was a horse girl, too. Loved them, read about them, drew them, dreamed of them -- and ultimately coerced my parents into acquiring a (mean-spirited, biting) pony. We had her for a year or so, and that cured me. (-:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! About the pony, that is. Oh, yes, yes to loving horses. What better to read and dream about.

      Delete
  7. Little Black, A Pony by Walter Farley and Come On, Seabiscuit! by Ralph Moody were two of my childhood favs. Haven't seen that Justin Morgan book in ages - wonder where my copy is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good, ones all, Cathy. I forgot My Friend Flicka too.

      Delete
  8. If you can handle a Boy and a horse, check out this 1950 beauty, One Horse Farm by Dahlov Ipcar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha, I can definitely handle a Boy and his horse. Thanks, Kate. The Red Pony was one I read many times. There was a Boy in that.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  9. Ah, some more wonderful horse books for the collection include all the Jill books (from the UK) by Ruby Ferguson...funny as all get out...and Smokey the Cow Horse by Will James...the little-known but excellent "Last Hurdle" by F. K. Brown..."Summer Pony" and more by Jean Slaughter Doty..."Robert the Rose Horse" illustrated by P. D. Eastman...oh, so many books, so little space! :)

    ReplyDelete